.

Chicago Public Library - Merlo Branch

Flag as Inappropriate

<p>Merlo Branch was rededicated December 8th, 1988, after undergoing a major renovation. In June 1993, John M. Merlo Branch, formerly the Lake View Branch, was renamed in memory of John Merlo, who was a local community leader and a longtime Chicago politician. </p>
<p>The two-story building was designed by city architect Paul Gerhardt; sculptor Abbott Pattison designed the frieze above the front entrance. The branch houses artworks by Martyl, Louise Papageorge, and Michael Ryan, funded through the Percent for Art Ordinance administered by the City of Chicago Public Art Program. <br><br>The former Lake View Branch opened September 14, 1942 at its present location. Earlier, a storefront named the Broadway Branch existed at 3119 North Broadway Avenue. The Broadway Branch served the Lake View community from 1925 through 1942. </p> <p><em>Editor's Note: This information was provided via the <a href="http://www.chipublib.org/">Chicago Public Library's website</a>.</em></p>
644 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL 60657-4511
(312) 744-1139
  • Hours: Mon, Wed, noon - 8pm; Tue, Thu, 10am - 6pm; Fri, Sat, 9am - 5pm; Sun, closed
  • Website: http://www.chipublib.org/branch/details/library/j-merlo-branch/p/Index
  • Accessible: yes
Share a review or post about this business.
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Who wants to be the first to post?