North Side Weekend: Circus, Run-Walk, ZooLights
Looking for something to do on the North Side this weekend? We've got events in Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Lincoln Park and Lake View that you may be interested in.
- What: Zoppé, a seventh-generation, nationally renown Italian circus family presents a unique Holiday performance with trapeze, juggling and magic artists along with Nino the Clown. The event is family friendly and interactive!
- When: There are two shows on Saturday, Dec. 15 at 11 a.m. One is at 2 p.m.
- Where: 615 W. Wellington Ave.
- Cost: Advanced tickets are $10 for adults and children older than 2. They are $12 at the door.
- Additional information: Group rates are available. Call 773-935-0642 for more information or purchase online through waucc.org.
- What: Register today for the Arthritis Foundation’s 2012 Jingle Bell 10K run and 5K run-walk. It’s a family-friendly event that brings the entire community together to raise the necessary funds for research, health education and government advocacy to improve the lives of people with arthritis.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 15 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: 2430 N. Cannon Dr., outside the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
- Cost: $45 for 10K or $55 on the day-of; $35 for the 5K or $45 on the day-of; $15 for the youth 5k Run-Walk, which includes those ages 17 and younger; $10 for the 50-yard dash, which includes those ages 6 years old and younger.
- Additional information: Get more information, register or donate on the event's website. Call 312-372-2080 with other questions.
- What: This year mark's 18 seasons of ZooLights, which is sponsored by ComEd and Charter One. The luminous land debuted the day after Thanksgiving with two million lights, including larger-than-life animals and seasonal features.
- When: ZooLights runs every Friday, Saturday and Sunday between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. through Dec. 23 and from Dec. 26 to Jan. 6.
- Where: The Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Cost: Free!
- Additional Information: The first 1,000 visitors each night receive a free pair of 3D glasses for what zoo officials call "a truly magical light display experience."
Taste Wine While You Holiday Shop
- What: Stop by The Chopping Block's Lincoln Square location to sample some of their fine wines while you're shopping.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 15 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: The Chopping Block, 4747 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Cost: Free!
- Additional Information: Visit the company's website for more info.
- What: Comic book fans of all ages will get the chance Friday to see their favorite characters come to life. Artist and writer Katie Cook will be in Bucktown.
- When: Friday, Dec. 14 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Where: Challengers Comics and Conversation, 1845 N. Western Ave.
- Cost: Free!
- Additional Information: Cook has had work published as an artist for franchises such as Star Wars and Fraggle Rock,and has written for My Little Pony. She was recently honored for her web comic, Gronk. She will be on hand for a reception to sign books, meet fans and do custom mini-watercolor paintings.
Get more North Side stories like these delivered right to your inbox or smartphone with our free newsletter. Fast signup here.
You may also be interested in Where to Buy Christmas Trees on Chicago's North Side or PHOTOS: Wrigley Ice Rink Open for Business.